19 February 2021

Hare on the Run

Another day, another hare. This is hare number three from Jenny McWhinney's Queen Anne's Lace set of accessories. This might be my favourite of all the hares in the set. I also expected that it might be a bit tricky to stitch in places especially around the back leg.

I started with the ears:

Embroidered ears on hare from Jenny McWhinney's Queen Anne's Lace

This hare is on the front of a pinwheel. Here is Jenny's original:

Queen Anne's Lace Pinwheel by Jenny McWhinney

I didn't take many pictures after stitching the ears. I was so focused on stitch direction that very little else penetrated my brain. I might have been too focused!

I was right about the back leg. It was problematic. It's close, but the direction is off. The flow of the fur isn't right. It doesn't look too bad in all photos, but it's very glaring in some.

It's interesting trying to do tight stitch direction on very small elements such as these hares. I'm not sure I can fix it because there's already a lot of thread around the knee on the back leg. To really correct it would require removing the stitching and that would be a nightmare. The stitching is too interconnected to remove a single area. I'd probably have to completely start over. However, if I step away from the hare for a while I might not dislike it so much. We shall see.

Embroidered hare's body from Jenny McWhinney's Queen Anne's Lace

I like how the head turned out. I wish the pinks showed up better in the photos. They are in the ears, on the nose, and on the bottoms of the feet. They're a lovely touch alongside the browns.

Body mostly complete on embroidered hare from Jenny McWhinney's Queen Anne's Lace

Next came the flowers:

Embroidered pinwheel front--hare and flowers--from Jenny McWhinney's Queen Anne's Lace

Then the tail (to be trimmed later):

Embroidery complete on front of pinwheel hare from Jenny McWhinney's Queen Anne's Lace

Finally, here's the back of the pinwheel. It was pre-stamped with the year '2020'. Jenny is very optimistic! I attempted to make my initials match the other writing. I'm considering adding a few more flowers because I don't like the spacing between my initials and the year. I need some sort of device to link the initials with the year.

Embroidered back of pinwheel from Jenny McWhinney's Queen Anne's Lace

This hare is going away for a rest. Hopefully, I'll like it better when I visit it later or perhaps I'll figure out some tweaks to fix things.

12 comments :

  1. I think you'll find that when you come back to it, any mis-stitches won't be quite so visible. And certainly unpicking would risk some of the really lovely stitching around the head. Leave well alone, that's my advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right. I usually find that setting something aside for a while improves its appearance! :-)

      Delete
  2. My first visit to this site. Very inspiring. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Come back anytime! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Very sweet... I can see and feel the motion of this little fella. Love the piece and your beautiful work. Thanks for sharing... Have a Hoppy Day... Margery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and a hoppy day to you as well!

      Delete
  4. I think you did a great job! I have been wanting to try something like this for a while. thank you for sharing and inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Give it a try. I may be grumbling, but it's really not that bad.

      Delete
  5. Your hare is so cute and I think , beautifully stitched . x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's very kind of you to say so. I like most of him, especially his head and face which, to me, are the most important parts.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Beautiful job, love seeing your work.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm trying to find time to get back to embroidery. There are so many other things taking up my time at the moment!

      Delete